St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church

Українсъkа Катoлицъkа  Церква Св. Ӏвана Хрестителя

Celebrating
95 Y ears

1924-2019


 


Supporting and Sustaining the Ukrainian-American Catholic Community on the East End of Long Island.
   

Hungry for the Gospel and a way to express their Ukrainian Catholic faith, St. John the Baptist of Riverhead was founded in 1924, and soon began to thrive.

 

Under the dynamic leadership of the founding Long Island parishioners and those devoted priests who led not only by word, but by example, many returned to their roots. The first Liturgies reflected what it means to be a "Church" and it was obvious that the Spirit of God was present.

 

This tradition continues today with many long time and new immigrant parishioners. Their faces filled with joy, and a yearning for a relevant Gospel message.

 

This Church exists to teach the Gospel, reach out to those who are seeking God, to comfort the sorrowful, to share the pain of those who suffer, to share with the needy, to be a tolerant, forgiving and accepting community, living faithfully the command of Jesus...

 

... To "love one another".




Будучи спраглими Божого Слова та маючи гаряче бажання проявити свою Святу Віру, перші парафіяни Цекви Св. Івана Хрестителя заснували свою парафію у 1924 році. Дуже швидко парафія почала зростати і процвітати.

 

Завдаки жертовності та динамічності засновників парафії, боговідданому служінню священиків, які провадили свій Божий виноградник не тільки словом, але і прикладом, багато людей вернулися до свого коріння. Перші Богослужіння яскраво відображали те, що означає бути Церквою. Беззаперечно, Дух Божий був  і провадив ними.

 

Саме ця традиція і до сьогодні продовжує жити і в серцях новоприбулих парафіян. Обличчя їхні сповнені радості і бажанням жити Євангелією.

 

Наша Свята Церква існує для того, щоби рости у Божій любові, простягати свої руки тим, хто шукають Бога у цьому світі, потішати засмучених, ділитись болями з терплячими, допомогати потребуючим, прощати та жити згідно заповіддю Христовою-

 

... "Любіть один одного".


The icon of St. John baptizing Our Lord Jesus Christ in the River Jordan by the famous Ukrainian artist, Petro Andrusiw, (Center) and the classic Byzantine icons of the Mother of God (Left)  and of Christ the Teacher (Right), painted by world-renowned iconographer Sviatoslav Hordynsky, grace the Altar and Sanctuary. The Iconostas were commissioned for the Parish's 40th Anniversary and dedicated in 1964 by Bishop Joseph Shmondiuk of Stamford.
______________________________________________________________________________

July 8, 2018
The Parish celebrates the ordination
of our very first Deacon.
Congratulations - Deacon Joe Lavino
Left to Right: Fr. Bohdan, Fr. Roman, Bishop Emil , Bishop Paul, Deacon Joe, Fr. Peter
The Parish Children Celebrate
Taras Shevchenko Day -  Sunday March 11, 2018
Christmas

День народження Христа


Children's Christmas Choir
Our Parish - First Communion
Sunday May 15, 2016

Service of Christian Unity - January 24, 2016

2016 Annual Chicken Barbecue
A Good Time Had by All